Enter the cavern with its
Walls of tanged strands.
Find the living flame
That burns on blood.
From Tao Daily Meditations
Since I am female, I don't have this pressure. But lately, I've grown tired of men who claim to be this archetypal he-man image. They may be real men, but there aren't always nice people. So I figured I would make a list of characteristics that sum up manhood for me. Please note that some of these traits can apply to women as well.
How to Be A Man
1. Recognize that your body and your mind are masculine. Your soul and spirit have no gender.
2. God and/or natural selection made you physically stronger than women and children. Don't use that strength to harm those who are weaker than you.
3. You don't become a man because society gives you the right to vote, join the military and buy liquor. You are just getting some social privileges.
4. According to the Tao, the best weapon is one we never have to use. Don't use your manhood as a weapon.
5. Since men have certain gifts, they should be used to bolster the community. Protect the women, children
and elderly who depend on you.
6. Having lots of sex with different partners doesn't make you a man. It makes you a human who fears intimacy and lives for his needs.
7. Drinking alcohol until you pass out does not make you a man. As you probably have more body mass than most women, you can handle chemical toxins better than us.
8. Consider the consequences of your actions. Don't think you live above natural and divine law just because you have a penis. You are not a god.
9. Society may tell you that anger is the privileged emotion of men. That is a lie. Men have all sorts of emotions. There is nothing wrong about feeling them.
10. If you end a relationship, be gentle.
11. Your car does not make you a man.
12. Money does not make you a man.
13. Strength and meanness are two different things. Often, it takes more strength to be kind than mean.
14. Men who abuse others are not men. They aren't even human.
15. If you hate women, deal with those feelings. Don't punish us with your rage.
16. You are not a man because you have the most beautiful woman at your side.
17. Don't run away.
18. When you feel weak, reach out to someone. Don't keep it inside.
19. Learn about love. Learn that love means giving as well as receiving. Don't love a person because of what he or she can do for you. Love that person for what he or she is.
20. Finally, don't keep telling us that you are a man. If you have to mention it so much, you are probably having doubts.